Tuesday, April 15, 2014

life is all about choices

I apologize for the delay in posting anything. Sometimes it takes time for me to process my thoughts enough to write. I began this post awhile ago. But the words never really came until now.


First, a little update on life.


I have been working on the same unit since I graduated nursing school. I love it and all of my coworkers and I feel as though I have learned so much there. I slowly worked my way up and eventually became a charge nurse on the unit. I was extremely proud of this accomplishment and felt it would be a good career move and a good way to gain even more experience. However, I knew when I took the position that I was not going to like it. With it came a mountain of stress and less direct patient care. Even so, I stuck it out for awhile. I mean, it does look good on a resume. But I was never really happy. I used to really look forward to coming to work and now I almost dreaded it.


I have learned a lot in my 26 years but most importantly, I have learned that life is what you make it. And I choose to never settle and to make my life happy. So, I decided I had to make a change. I asked to step down from the position. I went back to being a regular floor nurse. And I couldn't be happier about it. But! For those of you who may not know, floor nursing can be very draining. It involves a high patient load (much more than I feel is safe, to be honest) with a high turn around. And some days I feel burnt out. So, I have decided to begin looking at other nursing positions on other units. I even have an interview later this week :) Prayers would be greatly appreciated!


But back to the point of this post.


If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. – Maya Angelou. 


We can all learn from this. Even me.


The Mayo Clinic says, "Only 10 percent or so of the variation in people's reports of happiness can be explained by differences in their circumstances. It appears that the bulk of what determines happiness is due to personality and — more importantly — thoughts and behaviors that can be changed. So, yes, you can learn how to be happy — or at least happier."


We all have those times in our life where we feel down or out of sorts. But happiness is a state of mind. It's a choice...a choice to go where you want to go in life, to not let others define you, and to do the things you want to do. We are faced with choices everyday. And with every decision to be made, I try to ask myself "Is this the right thing to do?" and "Will this make me happy in the long run?" And I try to answer myself honestly, even if it's not what I want at the moment. And during those times when I don't feel happy, I ask myself "What am I not happy about and what can I do to fix it?" Currently, it happens to be that I am feeling a little bored in life and I want to experience something new. So, I am looking at other positions and studying to become a nurse practitioner. And I am planning on having as many adventures and experiencing as many new things as I can this summer :)


The point is...YOU ALONE have the power to change your life for the better. Life is too short to not be HAPPY!

Nobody said it was easy being happy all of the time (and, frankly, it's not human). So sometimes when I'm feeling out of sorts or down, I read uplifting quotes and scriptures. I research them for specific things, depending on how I am feeling (sad, happy, heartbroken, anxious, etc.). They often remind me of the most important things in life when I lose my way and forget. And most importantly, the scriptures remind me that while people may let me down, God will never fail me.




There’s always a point in your life where you need some help getting that inspiration you need, or there’s times where you just need that extra push to be happy. So today I would like to share with you a few of my favorite scriptures and quotes, which help to get me through those times. Enjoy :)

1. Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too - Will Smith

2. Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. ― Oscar Wilde

3. Joshua 1:9: Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.

4. You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ― Mae West



5. Philippians 4:6-7: Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


6. Sing like no one’s listening, love like you’ve never been hurt, dance like nobody’s watching, and live like its heaven on earth. -- Mark Twain

7. Micah 6:8: He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

8. People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be. ― Abraham Lincoln



9. If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things. -- Albert Einstein

10. Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

11. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. ― Mahatma Gandhi

12. The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. ― Bob Marley


In the end, it's your life. So make the most of it! Live, laugh, love. Inspire others. Choose to surround yourself with uplifting people. Choose to let go of anxiety and regret. Choose to experience new things. And choose to BE HAPPY.

1 comment:

  1. There are lot of articles on the web about this. But I like yours more, although i found one that’s more descriptive.

    http://winconfirm.com/category/motivational-songs-inspirational-songs/

    ReplyDelete